We are committed

At Juniper we are committed to nurturing the spirit of life in each individual we serve so that they may live fully throughout all seasons of life. To us this means understanding an individual, not only their needs but their desires and responding with programs and services which provide for the highest quality of life possible. Our Alive in All Seasons program of activities is designed to foster healthy bodies, enriched minds and fulfilled spirits. These pictures and stories are living proof that we at Juniper are dedicated to walking our talk!

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Volunteer's Story Left Us in Tears


Hi Everyone. My name is Linda and this is my story :
By now, you all know, that I was born with Muscular Dystrophy. This is a progressive neuro-muscular disease which causes severe weakness in the hands and legs, arms and feet. It also causes extreme loss of balance.
When I was little, I used to wonder why I couldn’t run, jump and play like all my friends. Through the years, as the disease has progressed, I have felt very sorry for myself and questioned God’s plan. Muscular Dystrophy has affected my life in so many ways. I was advised by my doctor not to have children as the chances were very high that this disease would be passed on to my children. Also, because of my weakness, it would be very hard for me to care for a child. Again, I questioned God and his purpose. As a matter of fact, my mother once told me that if she had known she had this disease she never would have had children. She had two and we both inherited the disease.
Finding MDA, which is the Muscular Dystrophy office in Ft. Myers, was a changing day in my life. That day I found my purpose, my passion and God’s plan. Not only has MDA provided me with material aids but they have provided me with great friendships and support. I have met so many family members, with muscular dystrophy, facing far more challenges than I. I have now come to realize God’s plan all along was to enable me to be one of the many mouthpieces to fundraise for the necessary research to finally cure this disease.
I firmly believe that in the not too distant future we will find a cure for the many types of this debilitating disease. I want to live in a world where no other parent has to bear the guilt of passing this crippling disease on to their child.
There are many other volunteers trying to find resources and together we are making a difference.
Having said all that, after a while, I felt the need to accomplish even more. It so happened that one of the ladies that worked in the MDA office had also worked at Juniper and knew Daisy. She said I should volunteer at Juniper Village as the residents and staff are so friendly and warm. I called Daisy and came in for an interview. Well, as you all know, once you meet Daisy you’re hooked. Her exuberance and enthusiasm is contagious. She also has compassion beyond measure. I immediately felt that this is where I belonged. I love every part of my volunteering from interviewing the new residents to computer work for Daisy as well as other duties. I love playing cards with George, exercising with Marjorie, playing bingo and poker and especially lunch.
When I walk thru those doors, I feel a calmness wash over me. The first person I usually see is Margaret, affectionately known as M&M, sitting by the front door. She always greets me with a big smile. Helen is embroidering and John is napping and the world is just as it should be.
I am very blessed to have a super supportive husband and as you can see he is not wasting away with me being here so often.
So, I want to thank you for welcoming me into your home and, I hope, into your hearts. I have met so many wonderful residents and staff and I will always treasure each and every one of your friendships. My husband’s motto is “happy wife, happy life” and, in part, because of Juniper Village I have a very happy and fulfilled life.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment